I Push Buttons

Whether I'm coding, writing, playing games, or pissing people off, it all boils down to pushing buttons.

January 06, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I didn't really have any New Year's resolutions last year, since I didn't start with the weight loss goal until February. I did do well with that, though. I was 215 lbs at the beginning of 2009 and 210 lbs at the time I made my first weight loss post in February (yay for the flu diet). I'm currently hovering around 190 lbs, which is 5 lbs shy of the goal I set for myself, and I plan to continue working out. I don't have any specific time frame, but I would like to be below 180 sometime this year.

I have two resolutions for 2010. The first is to read through the New Testament. I tried doing the full Bible plan last year, but I ended up getting bogged down in repetitive stuff in the Old Testament and falling way behind. I decided to just do the New Testament this year 1) because it's shorter (I'm not a fast reader), and 2) because it is more applicable than the Old Testament. It's one chapter a day, five days a week. I think I can handle this.

My second resolution is much more ambitious than the first: I'm going to endeavor to take my writing more seriously this year. No, that doesn't mean I'll be posting more often about my mundane life in my blog. (Please keep your sighs of relief to yourselves.) If you've explored this blog at all, you may have noticed the link to Ficly over on the right. For those who don't know, Ficly is a site for writing community fiction in very, very short form. You get 1,024 characters to write whatever you want, and other people can write prequels and sequels to whatever you write. 1,024 Characters doesn't sound like a lot, but you'd be surprised how much you can fit in that space. It's really a lot of fun.

I've been more active on the site as of late, and I've been having a great time. It's a great way to practice writing without trying to do anything of an overwhelming length. So, my New Year's Resolution is to write a new Ficly story every day for the entire year. That's 365 stories. I need to backfill for January 1-4, but I did write one yesterday when I came up with the idea (read: stole the idea from another user). If you're interested, I suggest you take a look at The Puzzling Plight of Reginald T. Badweather. It's a parody of stories that utilize overwrought language, and I had a lot of fun writing it.

To make following along with this easier, I have created a Twitter account. Yes, I have finally joined the 21st Century. Hold your applause until the end, please. You can follow me under my username of kaellinn18. Every day (hopefully) I will post a link to a new story for your enjoyment, and each twitter will be cross-posted on Facebook, so if you don't have a twitter account, you can always follow me there. My life may not be entertaining enough to write about every day, but I can definitely make stuff up!

I hope you'll join me on this little experiment. I plan try to write the four backlogged stories and the one for today this evening. Stay tuned! Or don't. I'm not the boss of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home