I Push Buttons

Whether I'm coding, writing, playing games, or pissing people off, it all boils down to pushing buttons.

March 22, 2009

March Madness: Day #3

The opening of round two of the NCAA Tournament went very well for me. Of the picks that were still valid, I only missed one. I had called for the upset of Texas over Duke, and for a while I was pretty sure that it was going to happen. However, Texas' massive amount of turnovers and inability to capitalize on their free throws caused them to end up losing by five. Despite that, there were several over-the-backs by Duke near the end of the game, that should have been called that could also have turned the game in Texas' favor.

Speaking of which, I don't know what the problem is with NCAA refs, but there is a severe lack of traveling and over-the-back calls across the board. This goes for almost every game I've watched this year. If you're not going to call it, just take it out of the rules. Otherwise, it makes you look corrupt when you make the calls only occasionally and miss them at crucial points in a game.

In reviewing all of this, if you watched the game you should have been able to see just how overrated Duke actually is. Texas had 10+ turnovers and shot less than 50% from the free throw line, and Duke still only managed a five point win. Don't get me wrong; Duke is not a bad basketball team. But they are not as good as the media and their fans would have you believe, either. Duke in basketball is kind of like Notre Dame in football (before Notre Dame actually became extremely horrible); everyone in the media kisses their butts just because they're Duke. Villanova should make short work of them.

1 Comments:

At March 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Robyn said...

Of course, being a Duke fan I have a rather biased opinion but I think the problem with Duke isn't that they suck, it's that they're unpredictable. They started the year playing *unbelievable* defense and Kyle Singler was a star. They were clear contenders for the national title. But now, their defense isn't consistent, and neither is Singler, Henderson, OR Scheyer. When the stars align, Duke can massacre anybody, but that hasn't happened since the beginning of the season and I agree, it isn't likely to happen now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home