I Push Buttons

Whether I'm coding, writing, playing games, or pissing people off, it all boils down to pushing buttons.

February 03, 2009

Putting It Out There

Well, I'm finally doing it. I'm determined to lose some weight this year. I'm not even close to obese, but I'm definitely overweight. I've been somewhat trying to lose weight for the past couple of months, but I can hardly say I've been dedicated. I've been lazy and doing it half-assed for long enough. It's time to get serious about it. But, Matt, exactly how serious are you? Well, I'm writing about it on the internet! And everyone knows the internet is serious business.



I've decided on doing several things that I think will help me to lose weight consistently as well as get back in shape. I believe if I can stick to them, I'll be able to meet my goal weight in a reasonable amount of time. Here they are, in no particular order:

1) I'm going to try and get my body into a normal sleep cycle. This means I will be getting up at 8AM each day. This may seem late to some of you, but this is early for me. I work flex hours at work and generally do not leave the office until after 6PM. To help facilitate getting up at 8AM and not hitting the snooze button, I will be moving my alarm clock across the room so I'm forced to get out of bed to turn it off. I plan on getting up at 8AM every day except for Sunday. Yes, kids, that includes Saturday.

2) After getting up, I will do light exercises for half an hour. This includes, but is not limited to: pushups, situps, jumping jacks, planks, leg lifts, etc. This will be difficult to get into for the first week or so, but once my body starts expecting exercise at 8AM, it will be easier to get up at that time. Once it warms up outside, I will add running to the list of morning exercises.

3) I will be moving my more intense workout from the evening to the mid-afternoon. When I'm working from home, I will lift weights using the free weights that I have. When I'm at work, I'll go to the gym around 2PM for weight lifting and light cardio. I went at 2PM today to see what it's like, and it is great! There is almost no one there, so I don't have to wait for any machines, and my workout goes by quickly.

4) I will try to watch what I eat. This will be the hardest one for me. I love food. Luckily, I'm not really a candy/dessert/soda person, so I have that going for me. I think my problem is that I tend to eat too much. This wasn't an issue for me back in college when I had an actual metabolism and walked 10+ miles a day. Now, it's harder. I'm going to try and eat healthier. I will also try and eat less, but more often. Courtney has a program for her iPod touch that helps her keep track of what she eats throughout the day, and once I get an iPod touch of my own, I will definitely be getting that. Hopefully I will be able to get one soon. In the meantime, I will have to go by the honor system.

That's pretty much my plan in detail. I'm going to post my results here on a weekly basis. I'll be weighing myself on the same scale at the gym every Tuesday. I figure if I'm putting it out there for everyone to see, it may help to motivate me. Encouragement is welcomed but not required.

Previous Weight: N/A
Current Weight: 210 lbs
Goal Weight: 185 lbs

1 Comments:

At February 3, 2009 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

Go Matt! :-)

PS - use the Wii Fit in the AM.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home