I Push Buttons

Whether I'm coding, writing, playing games, or pissing people off, it all boils down to pushing buttons.

February 26, 2009

Ego Boost

Courtney had a meeting at church tonight, so I went to the mall to get some dinner at Chick-fil-a and browse through the new releases at Gamestop, fully knowing that I wasn't going to purchase anything. I haven't been playing video games as much as I used to, so a game has to be something I'm really looking forward to (or at least one for which I have a trusted recommendation) in order for me to purchase it. After perusing video games for several minutes, I left the store and started heading back toward the other end of the mall where I'd parked.

I hadn't walked too far when I noticed a group of teenage girls heading in my direction. They were your standard modern teenagers, laughing and talking way too loud as they window-shopped their way down the main aisle. As we approached each other, one of the girls looked over, brazenly eyed me, and asked, "Do you have a girlfriend?"

I didn't even break stride. I smiled and said, "Mmmhmm," as I passed her and her friends. I could smell her perfume as I walked by, the kind of inexpensive perfume teenage girls wear to impress teenage boys. Still walking, I turned back and smiled at her; she was still walking too, her head turned and looking back at me over her shoulder. I pulled my left hand out of my jacket pocket and waved my wedding ring at her.

"Oh, snap!" she yelled and started to laugh. I turned back around and continued heading toward the far end of the shopping center, the laughter of the girls blending into the general din of the mall as I went. "Bye, baby!" I heard her call from further down the main corridor.

I didn't look back.

3 Comments:

At February 27, 2009 at 3:00 PM , Blogger ccnusbaum said...

don't look back you can never look back -- quick courtney what song are these lyrics from?? :-)

 
At February 27, 2009 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

Holy crap Carly, NOT quick! I knew the cadence and tune of that one line and had it stuck in my head for nearly 90 minutes. Sometimes I hit upon what I know is the wrong answer but it ends up being the roadblock to the right answer - this time I got stuck on "Don't Turn Around" by Ace of Base. But anyway, it's "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley (covered by, among others, The Ataris).

 
At February 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Don Henley may as well just let that song go. The Ataris version rules.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home