I Push Buttons

Whether I'm coding, writing, playing games, or pissing people off, it all boils down to pushing buttons.

July 01, 2008

A Subconscious Trip To Outer Space

Apparently the average person has three to four dreams per night. This may be the case for me as well, but I rarely ever remember a dream or even wake up with the sensation that I had been dreaming. This morning, however, was different. I remembered a good bit of what I dreamed about last night.

It started out with me being on a space shuttle. I was strapped in a seat by a window, and we lifted off from Cape Canaveral. However, this launch was not like you would see in real life and actually made very little sense. First of all, it wasn't bumpy at all, and the gravitational force remained at one earth gravity. It was actually very pleasant. I highly recommend space shuttle travel for all your dream getaways. The launch trajectory started out vertically, like you would expect, but then we curved north over the earth's surface and started flying like a normal airplane. I remember flying very low over the house in South Carolina where I grew up, and then after that we banked vertically again and took off into space. Hopefully the house was not incinerated.

I remember very vividly the land falling away from my view through the window. Then all I could see was white, and it gradually started fading into a sky blue as we got higher in the atmosphere. The blue then became darker and darker until I was looking at the entire planet shrinking in front of me, surrounded by stars. It was a pretty good visual effect for a dream. I imagine that my mind combined a bunch of random clips from different NASA videos I've seen over the years.

Once we were up in space, we ended up docking with the International Space Station. For some reason, there was gravity on the station, and it was also a lot bigger than the actual ISS. Also, apparently there was some kind of elementary or middle school class up there. They were taking some kind of test on whatever science experiments they had been working on with the astronauts. Man, if only I could have gone to a school like that when I was a kid. Anyway, one of the girl students ended up taking some of the pens from the teacher's desk that the teacher used to grade the tests with. After the tests were graded, the girl ended up changing some of the grades and got in trouble. I don't know if she was changing Ds to Bs or what. Also, apparently the forensics team from CSI was investigating who had changed the grades. Obviously this was some kind of horrific space felony. The poor kid's probably gonna wind up in Gitmo or jettisoned out an airlock.

That's about all I remember of this dream. I think my alarm woke me up in the middle of it. As far as dreams go, I think this one was pretty tame in terms of weirdness. Possibly interesting bit of trivia: I'm certain this dream is the result of me watching several episodes of Numb3rs leading up to when Dr. Fleinhardt gets to go up into space and stay on the ISS for six months.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At July 2, 2008 at 12:06 PM , Blogger ccnusbaum said...

Sounds a little like astral travel. Some people can get to the point where they can actually conduct their travels. most people believe that it is just an awesomely deep sleep though.

 
At July 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

I had to look astral travel up to see what it was. I don't think that's an accurate description, though. What I read about it on Wikipedia makes it sound like the person is aware they are "leaving their body," whereas I still had the sensation I was in my body and was unaware that I was dreaming. In other words, it was the world around me that was acting differently, and not myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home