I Push Buttons

Whether I'm coding, writing, playing games, or pissing people off, it all boils down to pushing buttons.

June 12, 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

We're leaving later this afternoon to head down to Birmingham, Alabama for one of my former college roommates' wedding. We looked into flying down, but with fuel costs being what they are, the price was going to end up being around $600 for both Courtney and I. That's just a bit ridiculous. Courtney did some research, and it turns out that tickets on Amtrak from DC to Birmingham are about $200 cheaper. So, today will be my first ever trip on a train.

------------

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you

BONUS POINTS

I don't have to deal with stupid drivers OR the morons at the TSA! That's what I call a win/win. I can just relax and do some reading.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

------------

There's a huge number of stops on the way down. Apparently, this train runs from New York to New Orleans. It will be an overnight trip, which should be interesting, since we don't have a sleeper car. I've heard that the chairs on the trains lean back pretty far, though, so hopefully it won't be an uncomfortable trip, and hopefully the constant stops won't wake me up. Once we get to Birmingham, Julia will pick us up and take us to the airport to pick up our rental car for the weekend. The last time we rented a car, it was ridiculously expensive, but that was because we were on our honeymoon and both under twenty-four at the time. It should be much less expensive this time around.

The wedding itself is taking place over two services. The first service is on Friday night and is (I think) a traditional Indian wedding service. The service on Saturday is the standard wedding service that is the staple of western culture. I'm interested to see what the Indian wedding service will be like. I just hope I don't somehow violate some ancient Indian tradition through my cultural ignorance and curse their family for seven generations or something.

By the way, this is the third wedding we've been to this year, and we still have two more on the schedule. Three of the five weddings require a great deal of travel and overnight stays. At least we're not in any of the weddings, or we probably wouldn't be able to afford to go to all of them (plus buy the couples presents). This stuff is getting expensive. From this day on, I demand all of our unmarried friends and family consult us on the date of their wedding. If we already have three weddings for a particular year, you're going to have to postpone. Now taking reservations.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home