I Push Buttons

Whether I'm coding, writing, playing games, or pissing people off, it all boils down to pushing buttons.

June 29, 2008

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

I have returned from my business trip to Boston, and I must say that it was great. The only problem I had with the whole trip was that the initial flight up was delayed due to a big storm that came through the Baltimore area and was also right over Boston around the time we were supposed to land. Other than that, though, the whole thing went off without a hitch, despite the constant feeling that I was forgetting something. I blame this on the fact that the entire trip was planned by my company, and I'm not used to giving up that much control when it comes to planning a long distance trip.

The conference itself was excellent. I won't bore you with a ton of details, but it may have been the most educational three days of my entire life, including all previous public and private school education. This not only speaks to the quality of the information we got, but it also speaks volumes for Stephen Few's ability to convey said information. I'm going to recommend this conference to others at my company, and hopefully some other people will be able to get the same learning experience I did. This information could definitely help improve a lot of our products.

While I was up in Boston I got some (hopefully) beautiful pictures. I forgot to take the digital camera with me, so I ended up having to buy a couple of disposables. Once I get those developed, I will be sure to put them up and link to them here. I got a bunch of great photos of the old architecture in South End as well as some interior photos of Old South Church, which had some gorgeous stained glass windows. I ended up running out of film just before I found Trinity Church, which had some great ceiling paintings, but by the time I had purchased another camera across the street, they had closed. I guess those pictures will have to wait until the next trip.

I got home Thursday night and ended up taking Friday off, since Courtney also had the day off. Matt and Sarah arrived for the weekend that evening, and we had a nice dinner of homemade chicken enchiladas, which were awesome. After dinner we went to see Get Smart at the local AMC. I have to say that Steve Carell is the perfect choice to replace Don Adams in a modern remake of this movie. Anne Hathaway is also a great casting job, and I have to say I enjoyed the movie immensely. I recommend it. After that we had some drinks and played a few games of Star Munchkin, which was hilarious as always. Everyone that we've introduced to that game has had a blast playing it, and I look forward to exposing others to it on our beach trip this summer.

On Saturday we got together with Carly and Eric for a hike along the Seneca Creek trail while Matt and Sarah attended a wedding out near Leesburg. It was a gorgeous day and perfect for hiking. Apparently we missed a massive downpour by just a couple of miles. Matt and Sarah had eaten lunch in the area just before they left for the wedding, and they said that a pretty nasty storm blew through. As we were hiking, we started having to walk around more and more large puddles. At the time, we thought they were from the big rainfall a couple of days ago, but once we talked to Matt and Sarah we realized it was from that same day. We'd already had to reschedule this hiking trip twice before, and it would have sucked to have to do it again. Looks like we made this one by the skin of our teeth.

(Aside: teeth don't have skin, so where did this phrase come from? If the actual point of the phrase is that teeth don't have skin, then the phrase makes even less sense. You can't miss something by a factor of zero, because then you hit it. End nerd rant.)

After hiking, we got lunch at Boston Market.1 I have to say I am not a big fan of the new four cheese macaroni; it's way too soupy. Stick with the tried and true, kids. Their chicken and garlic green beans are always great, though. Once we'd eaten, Carly and Eric had to head home for a birthday party, and we headed back to our place to shower and relax for a couple of hours.

Today was church with Matt and Sarah, and everyone parted ways afterward. They headed back to Blacksburg, Courtney headed up to Baltimore for a couple of hours of work, and I stayed at church for a couple of hours of choir rehearsal for a program we're doing in the middle of July. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it could be worse. I just don't particularly enjoy the arrangement of some of the songs that I'm a big fan of in their original form. They now seem to be devoid of the intensity that they originally had. Now, not all of the songs are like this... just my favorites. It's like this guy made this arrangement specifically to annoy me. Knowing the universe, I lay the odds on this being the case at 5 to 1.

Four day work week this week, and then Fourth of July weekend! Four weeks until the beach!



1You know, I didn't see one Boston Market in all of my time in Boston. I have the feeling we're being misled.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM , Anonymous Stephen Few said...

Matt,

Thanks for the kind words about my workshop. I'm thrilled that you found it so useful.

Be well,

Steve Few

 
At June 30, 2008 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Thanks for dropping by, Steve. I had a great time at the workshop, and I'm disappointed I had to leave the data analysis portion early to catch my flight. Maybe next time you're on the east coast, I will be able to attend that particular day in full.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home